Since being diagnosed with Hypermobility Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome early this year, I’ve been swimming, working at my Occupational Therapy exercises, and managing my pain with pain killers, to varying degrees of success; sometimes I can go several days without any pain relief at all and sometimes it’s so bad that pain relief doesn’t help at all so it’s a bit of a day to day balancing act in that regard.
We also spoke to our contact at DSA (Disability Support Allowance) to see if they could help me through the last bit of my Masters. With the last module being particularly intense, home based, with a lot of sitting at a computer, my Mum and I were worried about that causing problems. So we wanted to see if we could get any help from them and fortunately, we did.
They set us up with Posture People, a company that specialises in ergonomic office furniture, and my Mum and I went to visit. They showed us all of the different options for the various pieces of equipment (chairs, keyboards, laptop stands, etc), explained how they worked, and let me test them out and get a feel for them – as much as I could in such a limited amount of time at least. The woman who helped us was great: she was incredibly thorough and really, really nice (plus we even got into an in depth discussion about superheroes that included comparisons of Marvel and DC – definitely a person I could get on with). It was a really positive experience and I was cautiously optimistic about the outcome.
We chose the specific equipment that we felt would be most helpful and Posture People wrote a report for DSA. After that, it was up to DSA – they could approve it or not. But fortunately, they did approve it and we got the funding. That went back to Posture People and they arranged the delivery of the selected equipment.
Not even three weeks later, two guys from Posture People arrived with said equipment (all but one piece – there’d been a paperwork mix up but we got that a few days later). They were both lovely and we had a good laugh as they talked me through the equipment, this time in more detail as I actually needed to know how to make everything work rather than just know what it all did. So, for example, they explained how all of the gears on the chair worked and then gave me some time to experiment with them until I felt like I had at least a basic understanding of it. It would take a while to get everything at the perfect angle etc.
I haven’t yet fully migrated to this new desk set up. I’ve been in my current spot pretty much since we moved into this house a couple of years ago so it’s hard habit to break but hopefully it won’t take too long and hopefully it will help with some of my pain.
It was definitely the smoothest DSA experience I’ve had so far. I mean, all of the others were pretty terrible but I’m glad that the last experience with them was a good one and not a I’m-losing-my-faith-in-humanity experience. Just for my own sanity moving forward. Having said that, I’m glad I’ve documented these experiences, both to give other people some warning of what the process is (or, at least, can be) like and to remind myself that it wasn’t as straightforward as this last one. But, for the sake of my mental health, I’m glad I can look back without every single thought about DSA triggering serious anxiety.